Departmental Information Systems Specialist
Open Date: January 10, 2022
Final Filing Date: January 28, 2022
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Monterey County Health Department, Clinic Services Bureau is seeking individuals for the position of Departmental Information Systems Specialist (DISS). The DISS acts as a resource person for users of specialized automated systems (i.e. EPIC Electronic Medical Record) providing support, training, and instruction related to the use of computer applications to staff. This position will serve as the first response to users; will coordinate with vendors, Health Department IT, and Monterey County IT to resolve issues; and will be involved in suggesting, implementing and supporting process improvements based on system and operational knowledge.
The Clinic Services Bureau operates ten clinics, including the Alisal Health Center, Seaside Family Health Center, Monterey County Health Clinic at Marina and the five Laurel Clinics located in Salinas, which include Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Laurel Vista, NIDO and Pediatrics, as well as 2 integrated Primary Care and Behavioral Health clinics.
This classification is part of a flexible series. Incumbents appointed at the lower level of the career series may be promoted up to the higher level of the career series subject to their meeting the employment standards for the higher class and a recommendation for their promotion by the appointing authority in accordance with the Flexible Staffing Program and Guidelines.
The eligible list established from this recruitment process may be used to fill the current and future vacancies on a regular full-time, part-time, or temporary basis County-wide.
Examples of Duties
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Microcomputer hardware and peripherals
- Operating systems used on department's PCs
- Basic principles and methods of microcomputer configuration and operation
- Basic concepts and terminology of local area networks
- Internet operations and use, including browsers and file transfer protocol.
- Training principles and practices
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems
- Interact effectively with staff and the public
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate technical information clearly orally and in writing to variety of computer users
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Independent worker
- Strong team player
- Detail oriented
- Meets deadlines/prioritization
- Time management skills
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
Conditions of Employment:
As a condition of employment, the incumbent will be required to:
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver's license or the ability to provide alternative transportation that is approved by the appointing authority.
- Be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings and some weekends or holidays during times of disaster or emergency.
- The Health Department will conduct thorough background and reference checks which include a Department of Justice fingerprint check.
EXAMPLES OF EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/TRAINING:
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of education, training, and/or experience, typically:
High School Diploma and two (2) years of experience working with computer systems in a relevant environment
An Associate of Science degree in computer science, computer information systems or a closely related field, and minimum of one (1) year of experience working with computer systems, preferably in a similar environment.
To view the complete job description please visit the Monterey County website:
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
Apply on-line at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/montereycounty , by 11:59 PM (PST)
Hard copy applications may be obtained from and submitted during normal business hours,
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Monterey County Health Department
Attn: Human Resources
1270 Natividad Road
Salinas, CA 93906
Phone: (831) 796-1291 Fax: (831) 775-8087
The selection process is tentative, and applicants will be notified if changes are made. To assess applicants' possession of required qualifications, the examination process may include an oral examination, pre-examination exercises, performance examination, and/or Written examination. The competitive examination process includes submittal of required application materials. A complete application package will include:
- Monterey County Employment Application
- Response to the Supplemental Questions
Applicants who fail to provide all required materials by the final filing deadline will not be considered. Resumes, cover letter, letters of interest, and other correspondence will not be accepted as a substitute for required application materials. All required application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants that are determined to be the most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the selection process.
Monterey County offers an excellent benefits package. To view the "J" Unit Benefit Summary of benefits please visit our website https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/showpublisheddocument/99630/637490872747330000 . This information is not legally binding, nor does it serve as a contract. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) prevails over this listing
On July 30, 2021, the County of Monterey Board of Supervisors took action to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for all employees to include new hires. The vaccination requirement is in accordance with Section 25 of the County of Monterey Emergency Response Manual and COVID-19 Prevention Program Link . Applicants who accept employment with the County of Monterey, will be required to be fully vaccinated. However, individuals may request medical or religious exemptions and will be required to complete the appropriate request and certification forms for review and approval no later than their start date. Medical / Religion .
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States; a list of acceptable documents is available on the USCIS Form I-9.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your rate of pay will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed in the summary.
Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact Elizabeth Veliz, Personnel Analyst at 831-796-1291 or Velizee@co.monterey.ca.us
Closing Date/Time: 1/28/2022 11:59 PM Pacific