GARDENING SPECIALIST (Gardening Specialist) (VA1456)
Recruitment Number VA1456
Posting Period 09/07/21 - 09/21/21
On Campus Only No
Working Title GARDENING SPECIALIST (Gardening Specialist)
Class Title GARDENING SPECIALIST
Salary Range (From $ to $) $2,990 - $5,404 per month / $35,880 - $64,848 annually (New employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the salary range)
Department FMS Grounds & Landscape Srvcs
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Non-Exempt
Status Temporary: (Renewable with the possibility of becoming permanent)
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU R05 - CSUEU Operations & Support Services
Quick Link https://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6674
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Under general supervision, the Gardening Specialist works independently performing a wide variety of specialized gardening work in an assigned area of campus, focusing on landscape and maintenance duties which include; horticultural spray and pest eradication work, maintenance, repair and modification of irrigation systems, and planning, developing, and maintaining special planting areas or ornamental gardens.
FMS is a large, complex department consisting of approximately 200 employees working various shifts and providing diverse administrative and operational services campus wide.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1456-Position-Description
The CSU will require faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or have received a medical or religious exemption. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/. Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org (staff and management positions) or email@example.com (faculty positions).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
Thorough knowledge of:
• The methods, plants and tools, as well as equipment used in planting, cultivating and caring for flowers, shrubs, lawns, and trees.
• The names, characteristics and use of trees, shrubs, and flowers.
• The proper use and maintenance of gardening tools and equipment.
• Flower and plant propagation techniques and pruning techniques.
• Characteristics of fertilizers, soil conditioners and soil.
• The effects of environment on plant life.
General knowledge of:
• Soil composition and structure, Ph factors of soils, compatibility and incompatibility factors between soils and plants, the difference between plant mixes, and erosion control methods.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
• Identify, diagnose and treat plant diseases, and correct plant nutrient deficiencies.
• Prepare freehand sketches and make recommendations for possible improvements in landscaping within the assigned area.
• Read and write at a level appropriate to the position.
• Follow oral and written instructions.
• Care for and maintain plants in all stages of growth.
• Develop and execute a program of plant propagation and display.
• Mix soils and fertilizers for plantings.
• Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
Two years of full-time experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds, one year of which in either the maintenance, repair or modification of irrigation systems, specialized pest and/or spray control work, or cultivation and care of nursery plants.
• Maintains a current pest control applicators certificate (QAC or greater with minimum designation of category B) and all required continuing education hours. [Categories C & A are recommended].
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• Ability to demonstrate applied knowledge of; smart irrigation controls, landscape and irrigation system design, Integrated Pest Management methods.
• Possession of a State of California Qualified Applicators Certificate (QAC), minimum category B. Categories C and A also preferred, in order of importance/relevance.
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines.
• Must maintain a current Landscape Maintenance Pest Control (Category B) Qualified Applicator Certificate, issued by the California Department of Pesticide Regulations, and attend continuing education as required.
• Throughout employment in this position incumbent must maintain a valid California Driver's License as well as continued completion and compliance of the CSU Defensive Driver's Training course.
• The selected candidate must pass a post-offer pre-employment physical examination and audiology baseline exam.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position includes lifting, pushing, pulling, moving, (not to exceed 50 lbs) required to complete landscape duties, utilizing power equipment and/or hand tools. Frequent hand grasping, bending and stooping. Equipment vibration and noise are associated with operating equipment to complete job functions. Must be able to travel on paved and unpaved surfaces.
The majority of job duties are performed outside, during all seasons. Incumbent will experience hot, cold, windy, rainy, and humid weather. Working surfaces include unleveled ground, grass, dirt, gravel, cement, mud, and wet and dry conditions. Work in and around, hedges, trees, grass, bushes, creekside environments, planting areas and athletic field areas. Will apply herbicides and other chemicals or "green" spray and fertilizers following safety procedures. Work environment may be congested at times, and requires an awareness of surroundings in regards to common safety practices.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University (CSU), Chico is a comprehensive and residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences, exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement opportunities. The campus motto, "Today Decides Tomorrow," is brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 09/07/2021
Close Date (posting close date) 09/21/2021
Open Until Filled No
1. Optional Applicant Documents
2. Cover Letter
Closing Date/Time: September 21, 2021