Government and Community Affairs Intern
The San Mateo County Transit District serves nearly 100,000 customers each weekday on its SamTrans buses, Redi-Wheel paratransit vehicles, Caltrain commuter rail cars and shuttles, as well as a robust capital program. The Transit District, which is in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, also is the managing agency for the San Mateo County Transportation Authority. Staff enjoys a dynamic organization that fosters personal development and professional advancement of its staff. The Transit District's core values include integrity, customer focus, respect, quality, teamwork, leadership and accountability. Excellent benefits are provided.
Communications (Government and Community Affairs)
Online applicatins will be accepted unitl 11:59 pm on Friday,April 24, 2020.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM MISSION:
The Internship Program gives students the opportunity to apply the skills that they have learned in the classroom. In addition, the program gives students the opportunity to consider a career in the transit industry. The interns will gain invaluable experience by partnering and learning from our team of professionals.
WORK LOCATION: 1250 San Carlos Avenue, San Carlos, California
The Government and Community Affairs Intern will organize outreach events, research and draft documents, work with stakeholders, and assist in identifying community concerns/issues.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
- Must be currently enrolled as a Junior or Senior undergraduate majoring in either Communications, Public Relations, Political Science, Marketing or similar field.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word.
- Must have effective research and analytical skills.
- Must have effective written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES :
- Organize community outreach events and participate in outreach activities associated with capital projects and planning efforts (may require working early evening meetings)
- Interact with community stakeholders on behalf of SamTrans, Caltrain, and/or the San Mateo County Transportation Authority
- Assist in identifying and addressing community concerns/issues that impact SamTrans, Caltrain and/or the San Mateo County Transportation Authority
- Research and draft public meeting materials (ex. factsheets, FAQs, etc.)
- Participate in the review of legislative policies and regulations
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one's self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned
How To Apply
Although we encourage applicants to apply online, we are still accepting paper applications.
- Apply online or complete a SamTrans Employment Application per instructions printed on the application.
- When completing the online application, please follow instructions on the Prospective Employee Reference Guide found at www.smctd.com/jobs.html. When completing the paper application, please specify the position for which the application is being submitted.
- Incomplete or improperly completed online or paper applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to ensure that the online or paper application reflects the work experience and education needed to meet the requirements for the position(s) for which you are applying.
- Your completed application package must be received by the District's Human Resources Department by the specified deadline to receive consideration. Paper applications must be received by the Human Resources Department by 4:30 pm on the application deadline date. Online applications must be submitted prior to midnight on the application deadline date.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE:
Applications will be screened for completeness and minimum qualifications. Finalists will be interviewed by an election panel. Successful candidates must be approved by college or university.
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
Free transportation on SamTrans buses. Incentives are offered for riding other forms of public transit and for carpooling to and from work.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for accommodation, please call (650)508-6308.
The District is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans and disabled veterans are encouraged to apply.