Grants and Funding Programming Intern
The San Mateo County Transit District serves nearly 100,000 customers each weekday on its SamTrans buses, Redi-Wheel paratransit vehicles, Caltrain commuter rail cars and shuttles, as well as a robust capital program. Located in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, we are the managing agency for the San Mateo County Transportation Authority. Staff enjoys a dynamic organization that fosters personal development and professional advancement of its staff. The District's core values include transparency, excellence, empathy, and accountability.
Planning, Grants, and Transportation Authority
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on Friday, April 24, 2020.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM MISSION :
The Internship Program gives students the opportunity to apply the skills that they have learned in the classroom. In addition, the program gives students the opportunity to consider a career in the transit industry. The interns will gain invaluable experience by partnering and learning from our team of professionals.
The Grants Intern will report to the Manager, Grants and Fund Programming. The Intern will assist the Grants Department staff with the administration of Federal, State and local grants that fund a variety of SamTrans and Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (Caltrain) operating and capital improvement projects.
- Must be currently enrolled as a Junior or Senior undergraduate, or a graduate student in Business Administration, Finance or closely related field.
- Must be organized and able to work independently once sufficient direction has been given.
- The ideal candidate will be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word.
- Will be familiar with basic research methods.
- Should have the ability to interpret data using appropriate analytical techniques.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- The candidate should also have a strong interest in public transportation projects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Preparation of grant applications.
- Research and assist in the analysis of financial data.
- Preparation of reports on the status of various capital projects.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one's self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned
How To Apply
Although we encourage applicants to apply online, we are still accepting paper applications.
- Apply online or complete a SamTrans Employment Application per instructions printed on the application.
- When completing the online application, please follow instructions on the Prospective Employee Reference Guide found at www.smctd.com/jobs.html . When completing the paper application, please specify the position for which the application is being submitted.
- Incomplete or improperly completed online or paper applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to ensure that the online or paper application reflects the work experience and education needed to meet the requirements for the position(s) for which you are applying.
- Your completed application package must be received by the District's Human Resources Department by the specified deadline to receive consideration. Paper applications must be received by the Human Resources Department by 4:30 pm on the application deadline date. Online applications must be submitted prior to midnight on the application deadline date.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE:
Applications will be screened for minimum qualifications and completeness. Finalists will be interviewed by a selection panel. Selected candidate will be subject to background investigation.
$20.00/hourly (400 hours maximum)
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
- Free transportation on SamTrans buses. Incentives are offered for riding other forms of public transit, and for carpooling to and from work.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for accommodation, please call (650)508-6308.
The District is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans and disabled veterans are encouraged to apply.