Human Resources Technician
Why join the Contra Costa County Human Resources Department?
Contra Costa County recognizes that our employees are our strongest and greatest asset. The Human Resources Department has a staff of just over 50 employees organized into four Divisions that provide a full range of services to County Departments, employees, and the public.
Human Resources team members work in collaboration with one another and the County Administrator's Office to provide central human resources services and oversight to 24 County departments. In order to provide the best human resources services to our partners and clients, we strive to recruit motivated, forward-thinking, results-driven HR staff.
This is an exciting time to join Contra Costa County!
Over the past three years, we have been actively upgrading our two core HRIS, Peoplesoft and NeoGov, to streamline processes, produce actionable data, and improve outcomes. In addition, we are actively working to identify innovative and creative approaches to add value and provide high quality services to our County partners and the public.
Contra Costa County has been recognized as an early adopter of online unproctored testing for the public sector, and our agile approach to recruitment has allowed us to stay ahead of the game during this pandemic. If you're someone that is excited about trying new things and focusing on the work that adds value instead of getting lost in the routine processes, this is the place for you!
We are looking for individuals who are solution-oriented and able to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, growing and changing HR environment.
We're looking for someone who is:
- Tech savvy! You will do a lot of work that requires you to be comfortable with spreadsheet applications, database programs, and online applications.
- An organized overachiever. Y ou will work in a fast-paced environment with competing requirements and deadlines.
- Customer service oriented. Your role will require you to be responsive and proactive when addressing internal customer needs.
- Analytical and data driven. You will need to be comfortable with studying and manipulating raw data into useable formats which includes making computations, graphics, charts, and/or narrative summaries.
- Interested in learning and developing your career. Your role will expose you to the work of HR Analysts and provide you with the opportunity to learn skills to prepare you for the next step in your HR career.
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Performing a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of Human Resources analysts, supervisors and managers.
- Issuing referrals of eligible candidates for hire to County departments.
- Updating and maintaining all employment lists, including open and promotional lists, reemployment lists, transfer lists, and layoff lists.
- Performing accurate and timely processing of various human resources. transactions including requests for recruitment, candidate referral requests, and transfer postings.
- Reviewing Position Specific Attributes (PSA) worksheets and comparing to conviction history data; making nexus determinations between convictions and PSAs.
- Extracting data from various human resources information systems and generating reports and spreadsheets in support of special studies and surveys.
- Actively participating in special projects.
A few reasons you might love this job:
- There are opportunities for career advancement in human resources.
- You will gain experience working for a large and dynamic public agency with an employee population of 10,000+.
- You will get to participate in technology enhancements and process improvement efforts.
- Your work will help you build strong public agency networks and contacts.
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- You will work in a fast-paced work environment with changing priorities.
- You will be providing customer service to a wide variety of internal and external customers and colleagues.
- You will be required to coordinate your work with various stakeholders who may have competing interests.
- Action & Results Focused (Taking Initiative) - Initiating tasks and focusing on accomplishment
- Adaptability - Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires
- Attention to Detail - Focusing on the details of work content, work steps, and final work products
- Critical Thinking - Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims
- Customer Focus - Attending to the needs and expectations of customers
- Delivering Results - Meeting organizational goals and customer expectations and making decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks
- Displaying Ownership & Accountability - Holding self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results
- Informing - Proactively obtaining and sharing information
- Innovative Problem Solving - Identifying and analyzing problems in order to propose new ways to do business
- Learning Agility - Seeking learning opportunities and applying lessons to one's work
- Oral & Written Communication - Engaging effectively in dialogue and communicating effectively in writing
- Teamwork - Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
You can read the complete job description at: www.cccounty/hr . The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future openings for up to 6 months.
TENTATIVE ASSESSMENT DATES
Virtual Performance Assessment Dates: TBD
Virtual Structured Interview Dates: TBD
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
Education: Possession of an Associate Degree from an accredited college or university in human resources administration, business or public administration, psychology, sociology, or a closely related field; or successful completion of 60 semester or 90 quarter units from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two (2) years of full-time or its equivalent experience providing varied administrative support in a human resources department or benefit administration environment.
- Application Filing: All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. A completed Supplemental Questionnaire must be included with the application.
- Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the assessment process.
- Performance Assessment: Conducted to measure candidates' knowledge, skills and abilities in job related areas which may include but are not limited to: Ability to interpret and explain human resources policies, procedures, laws, standards, and regulations; Ability to collect and compile qualitative and quantitative data; Ability to use and understand common database, spreadsheet, and word processing applications; Ability to apply basic mathematical and statistical calculations; Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing. Candidates must receive a passing score on the performance assessment in order to move forward to the structured interview step
- Structured Interview: Conducted by a panel of job experts who will evaluate candidates in job-related competencies (Weighted 50%).
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.