Information Technology Systems Support Specialist Level I/II
This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
Level 1 - $4882.44- $6230.92/month
Level 2 - $5644.58 - $7203.60/month
Performs a wide range of advanced system support duties in either a service desk or an applications/desktop/field environment, in order to provide effective support for enterprise, client/server, desktop computer systems, network systems and business applications and/or provides effective specialized information technology support related to department specific applications. Watch to Explore your career with purpose
Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
- Operations, services, concepts, terms and activities common to a comprehensive, state-of-the-art information technology program
- Basic operational characteristics of local and wide area network systems
- Automated systems/software utilized in area of assignment, including work processes, methods of data entry/retrieval, and system navigation
- Policies, laws, rules and regulations governing the customer agency's business process and the related automation systems--as required by some positions in this class
- Modern office procedures, methods, equipment and software such as word processing, electronic mail, and spreadsheet software
- Principles and practices of troubleshooting computer system hardware and software problems
- Process and workflow analysis
- Tools and test equipment used in the installation, maintenance and repair of information systems
- Basic principles and practices of technical network administration
- Principles and practices of customer service
- Principles and techniques of training and training evaluation
- Methods and techniques of developing and presenting technical documentation and training materials
- Principles and practices of records and data management
- Operate, maintain and perform repairs on information technology equipment and software
- Perform complex duties related to troubleshooting, configuring, performing diagnostic and assignment specific desktop and network hardware and software issues and respond appropriately to customer service requests
- Test and repair electronic equipment using appropriate tools
- Assess and resolve system use and application problems, prioritize and escalate unresolved issues to appropriate staff, and follow issues through to resolution
- Understand, interpret and apply procedures, laws, rules and regulations as they apply to the customer agency's business processes--as required by some positions in this class
- Communicate technical information to a wide variety of users
- Assist in planning and evaluating new systems and equipment
- Execute system testing plans and test, troubleshoot and de-bug programs using appropriate technology to ensure system functionality
- Plan, organize, prioritize and process work to ensure that deadlines are met; organize and manage multiple assignments and priorities
- Prepare and present training materials related to specialized hardware and/or software
- Prepare and maintain documentation for procedures, processes, and tables related to area of assignment
- Independently evaluate work methods, procedures, and operational needs; identify and recommend appropriate solutions
- Learn and utilize specialized terminology applicable to specific assignments
- Read, comprehend and retain technical information on computer products and systems
- Adapt quickly to changes in policies, procedures, assignments and work locations
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered during the course of the work
Either: 1. Two (2) years of full-time paid experience performing operations or technical support work on a computer system, or an enterprise or client/server system involving responsibility for customer communications, problem research and resolution, program documentation methods, system performance monitoring and/or performing network functions.
Or: 2. Three (3) years of full-time experience in a social services agency conducting public assistance eligibility determination using an automated system in a Human Services environment. At least one (1) year must have included responsibility for research and resolution of problems with cases in the automated eligibility determination system.
Or:3. A Certificate of Achievement, or higher, from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Information Technology or other field closely related to the intent of the class.
Note: If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
Note: If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.
Criminal History and Background Checks:
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks where authorized by Labor Code section 1024.5, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County willcomply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Some positions in this class may require the incumbent to be able to:
- Distinguish between different colors.
- Lift equipment that weighs up to 50 pounds.
Individuals who do not meet these requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Some positions in this class may require the incumbent to:
- Work weekends, holidays, and non-routine hours.
- Travel occasionally.
The probationary period for this classification is six (6) months.
Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 1/7/2021 5:00 PM Pacific