The Office of Councilmember Roberto Uranga is looking for a highly motivated individual who can work in a fast-paced environment to join the District 7 team as a Part-Time Legislative Aide
Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, the role of the Legislative Aide is to coordinate the Councilmember's schedule, assist in office operations and communication, assist with resident case work, assist with district events, and mobilization.
This is an unclassified, non-career position. Unclassifiedpositions with the City do not require applying through the Civil Serviceprocess. All communication will be handled through the department.Non-career employees are not typically eligible for health/dental/visionbenefits; however, may be eligible for sick leave benefits. Non-careeremployees are limited to 1,600 work hours per service year (approximately 30hours/week) and are not guaranteed a minimum number of work hours. This isat-will, part-time position.
The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinatedagainst COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical orreligious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human ResourcesDepartment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Coordinate the Councilmember's schedule and calendar.
- Assist with resident casework.
- Assist in office operations and communications such as answering phone calls, checking voicemails,
- Respond to emails and initiate constituent casework
- Attend meetings and events with and on behalf of the Councilmember.
- Attend meetings and events in the evenings and on the weekends.
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalency.
- Experience working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations for a community group, nonprofit or government agency.
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English, Tagalog/English, and/or Khmer/English is a plus).
- Willingness to work other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- A strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to manage complex tasks and prioritize competing demands to meet deadlines.
- Team-focused, enjoy working as part of an active group of highly engaged individuals, sharing information readily with co-workers, and listening to and respecting others; able and willing to assist co-workers in the development of their own professional skills in order to ensure the team's success.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit an online application with their cover letter and resume by January 28, 2021 at 4:30 pm. Cover letters should be addressed to Celina Luna, Chief of Staff. Incomplete applications or candidates who clearly do not meet the minimum requirements of the position will not be considered.
The City of Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization. In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for positions interacting with the public.
This position is an exempt, at-will position. This position will not accrue any civil service tenure or contractual employment rights. The Legislative Aide is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of the Council Office, and may be removed without cause.
The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human Resources Department.
Closing Date/Time: 1/28/2022 4:30 PM Pacific