Operation Cost Analysis Intern (Bus)
The San Mateo County Transit District serves nearly 100,000 customers each weekday on its SamTrans buses, Redi-Wheel paratransit vehicles, Caltrain commuter rail cars and shuttles, as well as a robust capital program. The Transit District, which is in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, also is the managing agency for the San Mateo County Transportation Authority. Staff enjoys a dynamic organization that fosters personal development and professional advancement of its staff. The Transit District's core values include integrity, customer focus, respect, quality, teamwork, leadership and accountability. ExcellebUSnt benefits are provided.
Bus (Financial Analysis)
Online applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on Friday, April 24, 2020.
The Internship Program gives students the opportunity to apply the skills that they have learned in the classroom. In addition, the program gives students the opportunity to consider a career in the transit industry. The interns will gain invaluable experience by partnering and learning from our team of professionals.
WORK LOCATION: 1250 San Carlos Avenue, San Carlos, California
The Operations Cost Analysis Intern will verify and document fixed-route bus ridership and develop reporting by fare category and type, and document NTD (National Transit Database) Monthly and Annual Reports. Assist with the development of service cost per mile/hour.
- The Operations Cost Analyst Intern must be currently enrolled as a Junior or Senior undergraduate, or a graduate student in economics, accounting, business administration, or other related program with an interest in transit.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft processing and spreadsheet programs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Assist in the development, documentation and implementation of the reporting ridership by Adult Pass, Adult Single-ride, Youth Pass, Youth Single-ride, and Eligible Discount, including information of fare payment method.
- Prepare a User Manual for submitting the NTD Monthly Report and the NTD Annual Report, including the operating data for SamTrans bus and Paratransit services and Caltrain rail and shuttle bus services.
- Assist in the development and documentation of determining cost per vehicle mile/hour by type of service - System, Mainline, Local, Community, Multi-City, and Coastal, and for bus bridge services.
- Conduct internal stakeholder interviews and collect information to verify and map the process and procedures.
- Develop ridership report, and generate historical data for trend analysis and present to stakeholders.
- Enter operating data into the NTD, review and resolve NTD generated Issues and process the Submit button.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one's self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned
How To Apply
Although we encourage applicants to apply online, we are still accepting paper applications.
- Apply online or complete a SamTrans Employment Application per instructions printed on the application.
- When completing the online application, please follow instructions on the Prospective Employee Reference Guide found at www.smctd.com/jobs.html. When completing the paper application, please specify the position for which the application is being submitted.
- Incomplete or improperly completed online or paper applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to ensure that the online or paper application reflects the work experience and education needed to meet the requirements for the position(s) for which you are applying.
- Your completed application package must be received by the District's Human Resources Department by the specified deadline to receive consideration. Paper applications must be received by the Human Resources Department by 4:30 pm on the application deadline date. Online applications must be submitted prior to midnight on the application deadline date.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE:
- Applications will be screened for completeness and minimum qualifications.
- Finalists will be interviewed by a selection panel.
- Successful candidates must have college or university approval.
$20.00 per hour. (up to 400 hours)
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
Free transportation on SamTrans buses. Incentives are offered for riding other forms of public transit and for carpooling to and from work.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for accommodation, please call (650)508-6308.
The District is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans and disabled veterans are encouraged to apply.