Orthopedic Technician (Open)
San Mateo County Health is seeking one (1) experienced Orthopedic Technician to fill a Part-Time (0.8 FTE), Regular/Permanent vacancy in the San Mateo Medical Center.
The successful hire will work in theSpecialty Clinics. Duties will include, under general supervision of a Charge Nurse, apply and remove plaster or fiberglass casts and splints on patients with fractures, sprains or torn muscles; order supplies; maintain cast working area; assist the supervising physician or nurse as needed; and assist with simple surgical procedures in other clinics and with admission and screening of patients.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have two years of experience in a hospital, institution, nursing home or private practice setting as an orthopedic technician.
- Knowledge of standard sterile techniques and principles/methods used in preparing, applying and removing casts.
- Orthopedic Technologist and CPR certifications strongly preferred.
- The ability to interact and communicate effectively with staff and patients and work productively and independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience working in a fast-paced clinic with a diverse population and the ability to be flexible and adapt to changes.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred but not required.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Apply and remove casts as instructed by the physician.
- Arrange X-rays.
- Keep cast cart stocked with supplies and equipment; order casting and other supplies.
- Operate specialized cast equipment including electric cast cutting saw, cast spreader.
- Apply and remove traction equipment and casts to avoid injury or deformity.
- Keep cast working area clean and orderly.
- Prepare patients and equipment for simple surgical procedures and assists physician who performs them.
- Instruct patients in care and possible dangers of casts.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Standard sterile techniques.
- Patient care and nursing.
- Anatomy and physiology, particularly muscle and bone structure.
- Principles, methods, materials and tools used in preparing, applying and removing plaster casts.
- Hospital routine and organization.
- Exert sufficient physical strength to hold casts during applying period.
- Learn to use tools such as cast spreaders and electric cast saws.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to handle, apply and remove plaster cast materials, and assist with surgical procedures.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Deal effectively with hospital staff and patients.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
One year of experience in a hospital, institution, nursing home or private practice which has included direct basic patient care.
Anyone may apply. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply" button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
~TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~
Final Filing Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 11:59PM PST
Application Screening: Week of December 6, 2021
Panel Interviews (tentative): Week of December 20, 2021
The County of San Mateo requires that all employees provide proof of COVID-19 vaccine or comply with weekly COVID-19 testing. Employees hired into specified health care facilities and other high-risk settings where there is potential for frequent COVID-19 exposure to staff and highly vulnerable patients are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more specific information, please refer to the County's COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Policy .
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.
The County is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Ximena Burns (111621) (Orthopedic Technician - F068)