PERSONAL PROPERTY CUSTODIAN
10:00 am (PT) until 2:00 pm (PT) on March 31, 2020
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
Collects, receipts for, stores and inventories personal property of decedents held in safekeeping by the Department of Coroner until cases involving such properties have been adjudicated or cleared.
Positions allocable to this class are responsible for the receipt, retainment, disposition and release of personal property found on deceased persons brought to and under the jurisdiction of the Department of Coroner. While work is not typically reviewed on an ongoing basis, incumbents receive supervision from an Intermediate Supervising Clerk.
Essential Job Functions
- Logs in all personal effects of Coroner case decedents and identifies from the investigator's report or a computerized data base system, the status and location of the next-of-kin and whether to involve the Public Administrator.
- Checks and handles the disposition of purported suicide notes and wills or testaments of decedents and has them verified along with an exemplar, if available, by a handwriting expert.
- Answer questions of the general public, immediate family of decedents and investigative or court authorities, the proper disposition of personal property, identification and location of next-of-kin and policy methods or restrictions in obtaining the release of the retained personal property.
- Releases to authorized persons, upon request and presentation of proof of ownership, property no longer required as evidence or for safekeeping.
- Ensures that certain equipment, such as pacemakers and scuba gear have received proper testing for malfunctions prior to release to the next-of-kin.
- Prepare decedents personal effects for periodic auctions, as needed.
- Photograph, tag, and mark all items according to case number and retain in a storeroom or safe vault, as needed.
Eighteen (18) months experience in stock, property or supply work.
- Customer Service skills/experience
- Cashier Experience
- Experience handling confidential information
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
3 - Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.
Applicants will be required to complete a supplementary job willingness questionnaire at time of filing. Applicants who do not agree to the work conditions will have their applications denied.
Candidates selected for appointment will be extended an offer of employment that is conditional upon the results of a comprehensive background investigation which includes a medical examination and a psychological evaluation.
This exam will consist of a 100% multiple-choice test weighted 100% covering:
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Success
- Following Instructions
- Service Professionalism
WRITTEN TESTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19.
CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE SELECTION REQUIREMENTS AND RECEIVE A PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER IN ORDER TO BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE LIST.
Please note: Test Invitation Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.
Notices of Non-Acceptance and Final Result letters will be sent via E-Mail or USPS. Written test scores cannot be given over the telephone.
TRANSFER OF SCORES
Applicants that have take n identical written tests for other exams within the last 12 months will have their written responses for the identical test part(s) automatically transferred to this examination.
This examination contains test parts that may be used in the future for new examinations. Your scores will be transferred to the new examination and you may not be allowed to re-take any identical test part(s) for at least 12 months.
Test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for written employment test:
- Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/. Please click on "Find a Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test Preparation Information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- You can also access test preparation for the computerized portion of the test by going to http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html.
- While these practice materials will help in preparing for the test, we advise you to review ALL related materials that you deem necessary.
Candidates receiving a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination and that meet the Selection Requirements will be placed on the eligible list in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months.
The resulting eligible list for this examination will be used to fill vacancies at the Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner.
APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Application filing will start on Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at 10:00 am, (PT), and will close on Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 2:00 pm.
Any required documents must be submitted within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission. If you are unable to attach documentation to your online application, you may email it to KLent@hr.lacounty.gov. Please be sure to include name and examination title and number on documentation.
APPLICATIONS WITH MISSING REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the
examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any
information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you
have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements. Provide any relevant education,
training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and a description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES: For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD: All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
ADA Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735 -2922
Department Contact Name: Kyle Lent
Department Contact Phone: (213) 738 - 2125
Department Contact Email: KLent@hr.lacounty.gov
Closing Date/Time: 3/31/2020 2:00 PM Pacific