Production Technology Engineer
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States,
Req ID: 31192
Production Engineering provides technological infrastructure and operational support to accelerate innovation. We explore, evaluate and deploy emerging technologies to support our clients and passionate fans across every screen, service and format with new products and services to ensure our global audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Discovery Communications is the world's #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and digital content. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products, Discovery+ and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Production Engineering is building technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear pay-TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms with innovative solutions.
Analyzes the business domain, documents its processes and systems, outlines business requirement s and bridges the gap between stakeholders and the development team, interpreting business requirements into understandable development tasks to match expected business value.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide application maintenance and support to various local and remote end users including troubleshooting technology, software, workflows and cloud problems.
- Manage technically complicated projects from start to completion including: design, budget, buildout, documentation and handoff.
- Evaluate new technologies and make educated recommendations regarding technology, software and cloud infrastructure.
- Provide full life-cycle support to end-users' requests for existing and new technology.
- Working with cloud computing including planning, design, management, maintenance, and support.
- Perform mission-critical integrations of cloud apps with on-premise and legacy solutions, enabling connectivity to SaaS and cloud services over secure access methods via traditional and new security protocols.
- Create detailed engineering SOP's for the operation and maintenance of computer systems and workflows.
- A deep understanding of designing and supporting live productions and control rooms.
- The ability to use monitoring tools (Service Now, Asset DB entry, Solarwinds, Splunk, SNMP, Ivanti Heat) working knowledge of NDIs and s upport ticket data entry and tracking.
- Other job duties, responsibilities, and project assignments as assigned.
About You- Capabilities
- Work with a team of engineers, development teams and operators in a collaborative, team-oriented environment and address critical problems through to resolution.
- Motivated individual with knowledge and interest in troubleshooting and maintaining media and cloud based workflows.
- Ability to troubleshoot Mac and PC software and hardware problems, including Windows, Linux and MAC operating systems and applications, drivers, workstations, servers, VMs and peripherals.
- Ability to work independently and with other members of a team and follow through on support requests in a timely manner, escalating to other members of the team when appropriate.
- Ability to perform well in a high-pressure environment and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Proven oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to provide on-call/remote support on a rotating schedule outside of regular business hours, as needed.
- Act as a liaison and take part in regular meetings between various departments and professionally represent our department.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment as needed (50 lbs).
- Travel may be required.
- This position is considered an essential position. During times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded the employee must work with management to make arrangements to report to work safely.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
About You- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in post-production, broadcast, or media industry environments.
- Experience with networking, studios, control rooms, cloud infrastructure/design, editing/audio applications, remote graphics /editing technologies and protocols.
- Knowledge of accelerated media file transfers such as Signiant and Aspera.
- Knowledge of video and audio codecs and frame rates including compression and transcoding solutions.
- Understanding of AWS and Google architectures and methodologies.
- Ability to create, read, and understand technical drawings.
- Knowledge of Adobe Premier, After Effects, Avid Media Composer, Symphony, ProTools, and Resolve.
- Previous work with media asset management systems (MAM/PAM), virtual machines (VMs), transcoding solutions, media archives, security protocols, server administration and project management.