SENIOR BUILDING INSPECTOR
Under supervision, inspects more complex residential, commercial and industrial buildings for compliance with municipal building codes. The below list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.
- Inspects more complex residential, commercial and industrial buildings for compliance with municipal building codes;
- Ensures public safety and preservation of property through enforcement of building codes and standards, state laws and local ordinances;
- Provides code interpretations and other essential information to contractors and the general public;
- Investigates complaints and inspects existing buildings for hazardous or illegal conditions.
- Recommend corrective action of defects or inadequacies;
- Schedules building inspections with property owners and issues code violations for lack of proper permits;
- Prepares residential presale reports to verify structures were built according to plans and permits;
- Maintains level of building construction and safety and records of complaints.
QUALIFICATIONS: International Code Council Building Inspector Certification AND four years' experience performing building inspections, construction inspections or related work. Must possess at the time of application and maintain a valid California Driver's License. Additional certifications in electrical, plumbing and/or mechanical are desirable.
- Knowledgeable of City, State or federal adopted building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, energy, green and accessibility codes and related laws and ordinances, public relations and customer service techniques and concepts, quality building construction, maintenance, repair and renovation techniques, and of file and records management techniques and principles;
- Skilled in reading and interpreting code requirements and other laws pertaining to the regulation of building construction, in identifying and recommending structural modifications for code compliance, and in reading and interpreting construction building plans and specifications;
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing in English, provide technical instruction and guidance and to work well with others;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments. Work may require frequent standing, walking, climbing and bending. Incumbents may be exposed to repetitive motion, vision to monitor, extreme temperatures and weather, moving traffic and construction sites.
THE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants whose experience best meets the city's needs will be invited to participate in the examination for this position. Candidates must have access to a computer with internet, video, and audio capabilities to participate in our examination process.
The examination may consist of one or more of the following: (1) Training & Experience Evaluation, (2) Writing Exercise, and (3) Qualifications Appraisal Interview with a panel of subject matter experts. Candidates must receive a score of 70 or higher to have their names placed on the active eligibility list for one year. The top three ranks on the Eligibility List will have their application materials forwarded to the hiring authority for a selection interview.
The City of Inglewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not discriminate by age, sex, race, religion, national origin, marital status, or handicap status in its employment actions, decisions, policies, and practices.
Closing Date/Time: July 14, 2023 5:00 PM