Senior Fairgrounds Maintenance Worker
Do you have a valid Class C drivers license and experience in semi-skilled building and grounds maintenance work?
Apply today to join our team as a Senior Fairgrounds Maintenance Worker at The Sonoma County Fairgrounds!
Starting salary up to $30.89/hourly ($64,471/annually), a cash allowance of $600/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*
As a Senior Fairgrounds Maintenance Worker, you will provide leadership and supervisory oversite to your assigned work crews, as well as complete the more complex construction projects and tasks . Additional responsibilities will include:
- Operating various types of equipment including forklift, scissor lift, boom, large and small floor preparation equipment, and general maintenance and cleaning equipment
- Janitorial duties for all facilities at the Fairgrounds
- Training staff on the proper application and use of policies, procedures, tools and equipment
- Understanding and executing operational plans
- Maintaining inventory and proper usage of various cleaning products, including those subject to MSDS reporting
The ideal candidate for this position will have strong communication and interpersonal skills and possess:
- The ability to professionally and effectively interact with management, co-workers, contractors, and the public
- Experience operating heavy equipment (forklifts, booms, etc.)
- The ability to multi-task and effectively apply problem-solving techniques
- An aptitude for effectively executing work orders and operation plans, and managing various events, sometimes simultaneously
- Bilingual skills are desired, but not required
In order to prepare and maintain the buildings and grounds for events, the Fairgrounds maintenance team works Thursday through Monday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm; and may work evenings, holidays, and outside in sometimes unfavorable weather conditions.
The Sonoma County Fair is among our region's most time-honored and cherished traditions. Over the past 75 years, the Fair has grown to become one of the most popular in the state. Famous for its top quality horse racing, stunning flower show, and constant innovation in family entertainment, the Fair continues its unswerving commitment to showcase and provide education on the wealth of our agricultural community. The Senior Fairgrounds Maintenance Worker position is an exciting opportunity to continue this commitment and contribute to the community.
What Makes Sonoma County a Great Choice:
The Fairgrounds offers a challenging and rewarding work environment, the satisfaction of knowing that you're working to better the community, and a competitive total compensation, including*:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
*Salary is negotiable within the established range. Benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. Employees in this class are in the unclassified service; this class is exempt from the Civil Service Ordinance of the County of Sonoma as stated in Section 5 of Ordinance No. 305-A as amended. Additional information can found in the Service Employees International Union Local 1021 Memorandum Of Understanding (SEIU MOU) and our Employee Benefits directory.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill a Senior Fairgrounds Maintenance Worker position at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. This employment list may also be used to fill future full-time, part-time, or extra-help positions as they occur during the active status of the list. County employees who wish to be considered for future positions should consider applying to this recruitment .
APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.
Education: The ability to read and write English and make basic mathematic calculations at a level for successful job performance.
Experience: Experience that directly relates to the knowledge and abilities listed. Normally, three years of experience in unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance work involving both buildings and grounds, would provide such opportunity.
License: Some positions will require possession of a valid class B drivers license, all positions require possession of a valid class C driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Working knowledge of: methods, materials, machines, tools, and equipment commonly used in general building and grounds maintenance and repair; occupational safety and health practices and procedures which relate to general building and grounds maintenance and repair activities; preventive maintenance requirements and standards for light equipment, machines, and power and hand tools.
Knowledge of: effective methods of supervising and training general building and grounds maintenance personnel.
Ability to: assign, coordinate, and supervise the work of general building and grounds maintenance personnel; work effectively with administrative personnel, subordinates, and the general public; prepare written reports; demonstrate physical strength, agility and endurance in performing light and heavy unskilled manual tasks for extended periods and in unfavorable weather conditions; use hand and power tools and equipment; work nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
Selection Procedure & Some Helpful Tips When Applying
- Your application information and your responses to the supplemental questions are evaluated and taken into consideration throughout the entire selection process.
- You should list all employers and positions held within the last ten years in the work history section of your application. Be as thorough as possible when responding to the supplemental questions.
- You may include history beyond ten years if related to the position for which you are applying. If you held multiple positions with one employer, list out each position separately.
- Failure to follow these instructions may impact your competitiveness in this process or may result in disqualification.
Please visit Getting a Job with the County of Sonoma to review more detailed information about the application, examination, and department selection processes.
APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.
Responses to supplemental questions will be scored using position-specific criteria. Please provide specific and detailed responses of a reasonable length to allow for a thorough assessment of your qualifications. Responses which state "See Resume" or "See Application" may be considered insufficient and therefore may not be scored.
The selection procedure will consist of the following examination:
An Application & Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal Examination (weight 100%) will be conducted to evaluate each applicant's application and supplemental questionnaire for satisfaction of minimum qualifications (pass/not pass); and for educational coursework, training, experience, knowledge, and abilities which relate to this position. Each applicant will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of work history, related experience, and achieved level of education and/or training as described in the application and responses to the supplemental questions.
Candidates demonstrating possession of the minimum qualifications will be placed on an employment list in order of most qualified to least qualified based on the achieved score received in the Application & Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal Examination. Scores may be adjusted based on such factors as number of candidates, anticipated vacancies, past practice, and natural breaks in the scores achieved by this group of candidates.
A background investigation is required prior to employment. Candidates referred to departments for a selection interview are typically required to sign authorization and release forms enabling such an investigation. Failure to sign prescribed forms will result in the candidate not being considered further for that vacancy. Reference information will not be made available to applicants.
Additional requirements, such as successful completion of a physical exam, drug screen, etc., may apply, depending on the duties and responsibilities of the position. If you receive a conditional job offer for the position, the requirements upon which the offer are contingent will be outlined in the conditional job letter. You may also review the Job Classification Screening Schedule to determine the requirements for this position.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: As the largest employer in Sonoma County, the Board of Supervisors has adopted a vaccination and testing policy to help mitigate transmission of COVID-19. All County employees will be required to either have documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination on file or consent to weekly COVID-19 testing.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted online at: www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org . Paper applications may be submitted by person, fax (707-565-3770), email, or through the mail. All applications and appropriate supplemental information as outlined in the job bulletin must be RECEIVED by the time and date specified on the first page of this job announcement. Applications received after the recruitment closes will not be accepted.
The County of Sonoma values diversity and is dedicated to creating a workplace environment that provides individuals with a sense of belonging. We are committed to having a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. The County is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer where all aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance, and business need.
HR Analyst: JT
HR Technician: RR
Closing Date:2/7/2022 11:59 PM Pacific