Senior IS Business Analyst – Limited Term (Open)
San Mateo County Health is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Senior IS Business Analyst - Limited Term. A Senior IS Business Analyst, under general supervision, leads, trains, oversees, sets priorities, and directs the work of staff on a day-to-day basis; performs the most complex and varied systems maintenance, operational duties, and/or modification of application systems; regularly leads large-scale or several small-scale projects of critical importance and substantial consequence to the success or failure to the County; serves as a liaison between system users and information technology staff, vendors, and service providers; provides technical and analytical support and training to system users; performs system administration functions to ensure security and effective operation; develops and maintains a variety of automated files, records, and databases; prepares and distributes new procedures, training materials, and a variety of scheduled and ad hoc reports; and performs related work as required.
The current vacancy is limited term in the Health IT Division and will be directly supporting the Environmental Health Services Division. This position is currently located in San Mateo, CA, and may travel/drive throughout the County to perform duties of the job.
The primary focus of this position will be working with the Environmental Health Services Division staff in preparing, selecting and implementing the replacement of the division's core record management system. In addition, this individual will also recommend and/or assist with implementing other technologies and processes that will improve delivery of services Environmental Health Services provides to county residents and businesses.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Obtain and in-depth understanding of the services the division provides, their processes and system workflows and regulatory reporting needs.
- Work closely with division staff to collect and document existing system workflows, identifying areas in need of improvement and new needs.
- Plan, schedule, prioritize, and assign work in consultation with IS Business Manager; inspect systems and infrastructure for maintenance, repair, and upgrade needs and recommend appropriate actions; assist in developing work plans, procedures, and schedules.
- Inspect and evaluate work in progress and upon completion to ensure activities are performed in accordance with department standards and specifications.
- Coordinate projects, personnel, and systems to facilitate access to assigned information systems; provide adequate, smooth, and efficient services for staff; receive, prioritize, and coordinate response to work orders; estimate and provides adequate materials, equipment, and staff needed.
- Function as a liaison between project managers, analysts, systems specialists, data specialists, communications specialists, and client systems specialists to ensure standards and protocols are maintained; assist in coordinating activities with other information services staff.
- Provide lead direction during major systems incidents to ensure an expedient response and resolution; maintain communication with all stakeholders on system status; identify underlying problems causing incidents and designs, proposes, and implement resolutions.
- Provide recommendations to managers and supervisors on the development of long- and short-term system infrastructure plans.
- Participate in the review and recommendation of contracts with outside vendors and consultants; administer, monitor, and evaluate contract scope of work; review design documents to ensure technical integrity.
- Individually or as a project team leader, work on and is responsible for complex large scale or multiple small scale software applications research, development, conversion, installation, and maintenance projects, including planning, organizing, and defining project requirements, methods, and end objectives in consultation with end users; coordinate project activities with team members, other section staff, user representatives and outside vendors.
- Oversee the modification of existing systems and/or the implementation of new systems by developing, writing, and disseminating procedures that utilize new or changed system applications and by evaluating system modifications in response to operational, program, and/or regulatory changes.
- Oversee and assign requests for assistance related to the use of department and/or program systems and software applications to staff; determine severity of problem and resolve or refer to appropriate personnel or vendor for resolution.
- Oversee the facilitation of a variety of system user and work groups to identify user needs and operational, programmatic, and/or regulatory changes affecting application requirements and other related issues.
- Supervise the work of software vendors to identify and resolve programming and other operational problems; oversee the scheduling of corrective patches and upgrades between vendors and staff; interact with vendors, external agencies, auditors, or other staff to obtain requested data or special reports.
- Design, implement, evaluate, and modify information systems training programs used by the department and/or program; request ad hoc reports.
- Oversee the development and execution of system test plans to ensure application performance conforms to specifications; oversee the modification of technologies to correct errors and optimize system performance and cost-effectiveness.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in technology related to County operations; research, recommend, and evaluate vendor solutions and technologies; implements improvements; work with staff to maintain, revise, or improve operations and systems.
- Provide lead direction to a group of business analyst staff; review and control quality of work.
- Provide training to users and other technical staff and advise on best practices.
Ideal candidatewill possess:
- Experience successfully replacing a record management system including collecting business requirements; assisting with the request for proposal (RFP) process, vendor review and selection, and ultimately system implementation and rollout
- At least five (5) years of experience in system analysis and software configuration or development and support
- Strong knowledge of business process analysis, requirements analysis, and software analysis and design
- Project Management Experience
- Ability to analyze end-user technical requirements and recommend specific technical and/or workflow solutions to meet the need
- Demonstrated skill and understanding using business analyst techniques such as interviewing, brainstorming, modeling, risk analysis, estimating, and peer review
- Knowledge of, and experience working in the environmental health field
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
This is a limited term, at-will position. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan.
Information for current County employees: Current and regular County of San Mateo Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit application materials and compete in the selection process. If you are successful in the selection process and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
Education and Experience : Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be equivalent to graduation from a four-year college with major coursework in public administration, business administration, information systems, or closely related field and five (5) years of responsible experience in a position that would provide knowledge of department-specific programs, processes, and/or operations, including at least three (3) years of experience in the planning, implementation, oversight, and/or utilization of automated information systems and applications used to support departmental activities and specific to the specialty area assigned which includes report design, writing, and generation; business analysis; technical writing; system administration; vendor relationship management; and/or departmental information security. Additional related experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis, up to four (4) years.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
1. Describe in detail how your education and work experience qualify you for the Senior IS Business Analyst position, including successful replacement of a record management system, if any. Be specific about where the experience was acquired, the responsibilities and duties performed, and how long you worked in that capacity.
Additionally, state any relevant certifications, trainings, or classes.
2. Describe your project management experience. As part of your response, include types of collecting requirements and tracking issues and risks, and outcomes of the projects.
Additionally, provide one relevant example that best illustrates your project management experience. Include the project, the steps you took, a risk/challenge you encountered along with how you communicated it to stakeholders and how you addressed it, and the ultimate result.
3. Describe in detail your experience and ability to communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders throughout the project/software development cycle starting from gathering and validating requirements to the software system you implemented to training end-users. As part of your response, describe the communication methods you used, the steps you took in implementation and how you ensured end-user training.
Please include the words "Senior IS Business Analyst - Limited Term Position" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Melissa Sheehan, Health Information Systems and Technology Manager
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered.
The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.