Senior Legal Analyst U
Position and Duties
Pursuant to the City's COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination and Testing Policy, the City of San José is requiring all new hires to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment absent a documented medical and/or religious exemption.
The Office of the City Attorney is seeking an experienced legal professional to manage the transactional legal analyst (paralegal) team. The successful candidate will be a legal professional who has the ability to collaborate with all levels of staff and will have demonstrated the following: strong communication, team-building and leadership skills; strong technical skills, including strong knowledge of legal analyst duties relating to transactional support; expert software skills and flexibility to learn new technologies.The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate's qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Senior Legal Analystclassification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
Typical duties include:
- Supervise and provide training, guidance and oversight to the transactional legal analysts (paralegals).
- Manage legal analyst assignments to meet operational demands for transactional services.
- Establish and maintain policies and procedures for assigned areas of responsibility, and monitor staff compliance.
- Draft and/or review a variety of complex legal documents, including agreements, memoranda, resolutions, ordinances, and responses to public records act requests.
- Supervise the preparation and compilation of documents for the City Council Agenda, and coordinate with the City Manager and City Clerk with respect to City Council Agenda items.
- Coordinate, update and collaborate with legal services administrator and other support managers on various office management, policy and administrative tasks.
- Participate in evaluation of Office software products and develop procedures for use. Train staff, supervise implementation, troubleshoot and assist all Office staff on software issues.
- Manage transactional legal analyst hiring processes, including recruitments, interviews and background checks.
- Prepare annual performance reviews for transactional legal analyst staff.
- Perform a variety of related tasks as required.