SENIOR MANAGEMENT ANALYST (IT Project Manager)
Information Technology Division (Position Code 0695)
Are you passionate about utilizing technology to improve business operations?
Do you have 5+ years managing IT projects?
Are you looking to make a difference in your community by ensuring that over 1.9 million people are provided a reliable, clean, and environmentally sustainable water supply?
Valley Water is looking for a highly talented and motivated IT Project Manager.
The IT Project Manager (Senior Management Analyst) is a critical role responsible for managing IT initiatives from initiation to closure while overseeing scope, schedule, budget, and resources. This position develops, plans, and leads complex projects related to information systems, technology, and analytics such as VoIP, CRM, document management, ITSM solutions, collaboration, and business automation platforms. The work involves a high-level of problem-solving requiring analysis of unique and complex issues without precedent including playing a key role in budget analysis, portfolio management, and maintaining a service catalog. The position interacts with employees across the organization and facilitates complex decisions with stakeholders who have differing expertise while guiding the organization through change. The position will formulate and present strategies and recommendations to management. Assignments may involve leadership, control, or coordination of cross-functional teams and/or assigned staff.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Manage cross-functional, complex technology projects and initiatives; develop detailed project plans consisting of mission, objectives, scope of work, budget, schedules, stakeholder requirements, and implementation strategies; identify strategic, project management, and external issues, recommend solutions, and implement solutions to manage risks and issues; provide oversight and professional guidance in project teams or special project/program assignments; assign work to team members; provide professional assistance and support to staff.
In coordination with Procurement, process requests for proposals and sole source requests to provide materials and services; participate in the evaluation of submittals; negotiate contract terms; prepare and submit Board Agenda items for contract approval; and administer and manage contracts ensuring compliance with all requirements.
Identify complex operational and administrative problems; conduct cost-benefit, statistical, and trend analyses; develop and implement recommendations. Develop, monitor, and maintain project budgets and forecasting. Assist in the development and application of the annual budget; prepare revenue and expense projections needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
Bridge the gap between IT and the business using data analytics to assess processes, determine requirements and deliver data-driven recommendations and reports to executives and stakeholders. Provide complex analysis, reporting, requirements elicitation, as-is and to-be documentation, and corresponding presentation materials.
Serve as a liaison for and coordinate assigned projects and/or area of responsibility to other District units, divisions, and outside agencies; represent the project/program/unit with outside agencies and community groups. Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends, technologies, and innovations.
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
- Five (5) years of experience performing administrative, operational, management, or financial analysis of complex issues related to Information Technology.
- Five (5) years managing IT projects.
- Directly related experience may be substituted for the college requirement on the basis of one and one-half years of experience for one year of education to a maximum of four years.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Research, analyze, plan, manage, and implement innovative technology solutions that address business needs.
- Research, analyze, and review the project plan for assigned projects and determine workflow needs.
- Expertise in articulating and translating business needs and business rules into actionable requirements.
- Process improvement skills to include process mapping, process re-engineering, and business case creation.
- Prepare high-quality and meaningful administrative, financial, statistical, and analytical reports.
- Recommend, gain stakeholder buy-in, and implement modifications to existing technology solutions, projects, systems, policies, and procedures.
- Administer and monitor operational and capital project budgets, forecasts, and burn rates.
- Highly collaborative and can communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Collect, interpret, and evaluate highly complex and diverse information and data.
- Analyze, identify options, and make recommendations for the solution of budgetary, procedural, and general management problems and program needs.
Some Knowledge of:
- Principles, practices, and responsibilities involved in leading the work of assigned staff.
- Common collaboration tools, desktop applications, and software.
- Principles of business writing and report preparation.
Working Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Principles of budget preparation, analysis, forecasting and control.
- Methods and techniques of contract administration.
Thorough Knowledge of:
- Theories, principles, and practices of public administration as applied to Information Technology.
- Project management principles and methodologies.
- Government agency programs such as, but not limited to, finance, budgeting, procurement, human resources, government relations, legal, water utility and watershed operations and management, and/or other related programs.
- Methods and techniques used to analyze business processes and recommend solutions for existing problems.
- Methods and techniques used to collect and analyze data and prepare reports based on findings.
Ideal Training and Education:
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, political science, business administration or a related field.
- Project Management Training (certification is a plus).
- Business Analysis Training.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click here
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following:application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above.Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE:Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities.Please advise the Office of Talent and Inclusion in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned.The Office of Talent and Inclusion staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
Closing Date/Time: 10/22/2020 11:59 PM Pacific